In my recent post about using Coroline Corrugated Bituminous Roofing Sheet on the shed, I promised that I would write up about using this material in other roofing projects.
Since that post I have been asked for some more information about using the Coroline Corrugated Bituminous Roofing Sheet, so I thought that I would try and write this post sooner rather than later.
Fortunately when I did the second of the projects I used the Coroline Corrugated Bituminous Roofing Sheet for, I took some good pictures that showed how I put the roof together.
I had a prefabricated garage that I used as a workshop at another property which I was renting so I wanted to move it to our current property to give added space in the garage. This was originally a stand-alone building, but I wanted to add it to the back of our garage. This would mean that I only needed 3 walls which gave a larger area, but obviously this in turn would mean that the roof that came with the building would not fit.
The original building had a flat roof, but as I was building a new roof I thought that I would create a pitched roof to match the Garage.
This is where the Coroline really came into the picture. I had known about it from another project I worked on, and I knew that they did several colours. One of which was the deep red which would match in with the tiles on the garage roof.
The first step was to erect the walls, this was a process of bolting the first section of the front and back walls to the brick wall of the garage. I used Shield Anchor bolts to achieve this.
These slot into the relevant sized hole and then expand when tightened to create a strong binding. They are not the cheapest but I only needed three on each side.
Once the first panel of each side was fixed I could then begin coupling the rest together and form the rest of the walls.
I filled the gaps between the panels with a black mastic to make a waterproof seal. I then fitted the door and window frame and the base was complete.
As I already said, I had to create a new roof as the shape was now different. I started by creating a wooden ‘pan’ around the top of the walls. This was easier said than done as the panels are made of concrete so I burnt out several drill bits doing this but eventually I got it secure.
I then created the roof rafters, a simple A frame construction made from CLS timber.
I then secured the A frames to the wooden pan around the top of the walls and connected the top of the A frames together with a beam.
The structure of the roof was then finished. I then added an interior wall construction to divide the space up. One side would be for garden storage and would be accessed through the door on the extension and the rest would be storage for wood and other materials and this space would be accessed via a new door that I would cut out of the back of the garage.
It was then time to start creating the actual roof. I covered it with sterling board which both gave rigidity to the rood and would eventually support the Coroline Corrugated Bituminous Roofing Sheet.
Once that was done I could cover with the Coroline Corrugated Bituminous Roofing Sheets and the Coroline hip tiles. Unfortunately the weather broke and I ended doing this in the rain, but at this point in time I could not really leave the construction so I carried on and got it covered and water tight. The first sheets closest to the garage I actually cut a groove into the wall so that they would actually slot into the wall by an inch or so. I could then bed them in with some mortar to create a water tight join between the buildings.
Make sure that you overlap the Coroline sheets, they are 1000mm wide but they only cover 900mm so make sure that you take this into account with your calculations.
The length of my roof was longer than the 2000mm length of the coroline sheets so I had to have two rows. Install the bottom row first and then any additional rows will overlap the bottom row so that water will flow off the roof.
If you need to cut the Coroline as I had to use an old panel saw as the bitumen sticks to the saw and it will not be good for much once you have used it. I did manage to clean some off using some petrol on a rag but it is better if you can use an old saw.
Following that I had to cut the door way through into the garage, a nice and dirty job! However before I went ahead and cut the bricks I needed to support the rest of the wall so I installed a wooden RSJ.
After some additional finishing, adding guttering, glazing the window, and painting the prefabricated concrete panels the garage extension was finished.
No related posts.